The 13th Orange Social Venture Prize in Africa and the Middle East will open for submissions on Monday, March 13, 2023. Candidates from the 17 countries within the Orange footprint have until May 21, 2023, to submit their project on the website https://POESAM.orange.com.
Since 2011, the POESAM prize has been awarded to innovative projects by start-ups, based on information and communication technologies that have a positive social impact in Africa and the Middle East in education, healthcare, e-commerce, and agriculture, or that contribute to achieving sustainable development goals.
Through this prize, Orange, as a committed operator, aims to contribute to socio-economic development, support social and environmental innovation, and encourage entrepreneurship in Africa and the Middle East.
The competition has two stages:
• A national stage to collect applications, between March and May 2023 in Orange’s 17 subsidiaries in Africa and the Middle East. At the end of this application phase, a jury made up of representatives of Orange’s start-up ecosystem will meet in each subsidiary to select 3 national winners (per subsidiary) who will automatically qualify for the second phase of the competition, the international stage;
• An international stage, where each subsidiary will be represented by the projects of its 3 winners, which will be evaluated by an evaluation committee made up of Group employees. After their evaluation, they will select 10 finalists. A final jury of African tech influencers will select the 3 winners of the POESAM International Grand Prize in October/November 2023. They will receive:
- €25,000 for 1st place;
- €15,000 for 2nd place;
- €10,000 for 3rd place.
As equal opportunities are a vital aspect of Orange policy, the International Women’s Prize will be awarded for the fourth consecutive year. This prize will be awarded to a woman who offers a technological solution to improve the living conditions of women (women’s independence, job creation or preservation, gender data collection, digital and financial inclusion, etc.). The winner will receive €20,000.
Since the launch of POESAM in 2011, Orange is proud to have awarded around €600,000 in prize money to over 30 winners and provided funds for more than 90 entrepreneurs to receive support from Orange experts or its partners. Through POESAM, Orange reaffirms its commitment to entrepreneurs positively impacting Africa and the Middle East.
- Autochek Appoints Robert Granados to its Board of Directors - 03/22/2023
- South Africa’s Fin Acquires Thuthukani - 03/21/2023
- Flutterwave Secures Two Additional Licenses in Rwanda - 03/18/2023